The original locks were built as part of the construction of the Grand Union Canal in the early eighteen hundreds.
Originally six narrow locks, one was removed and the remaining five modernised in the 1930's as part of the canals improvement.

When the canals were originally built there was no standard size for canal locks which meant that the canal sytem was inefficient and did not meet the rapid growth in demand for transport.

Robert Elliott-Cooper drew up plans for the widening of the locks in the 1930's. The remains of the original six narrow locks can still be seen today situated along side the new five wide locks. These locks raise the water by 41 feet and 10 inches.

To minimise constrution costs it was decided to limit the size of locks. They were therefore built just 2.15 mtres wide and 21.5 metres long, with the canal boats capable of carrying 20 tonnes.