Project view - Warsop and its surrounding villages - A Journey Through Time.

 English
 

Project text:


This project consists of facts, pictures and stories about the Warsop area, past and present, including Market Warsop, Church Warsop and Warsop Vale.

Throughout this project you will see how the Warsop area has changed through the years. Some places have changed dramatically and others have changed very little but I think you will find that most places in the area have change quite considerably.

This area has changed dramatically since the closure of the mines at Warsop, Shirebrook, Clipstone but now just 2 remain, Thoresby colliery in Edwinstowe and Welbeck Colliery in Meden Vale, although, although Welbeck has been marked for closure also. The mines used to employ over 37,000 people in their heyday but now they will just be a staff of less than 2,000.

The parish was an urban district in Nottinghamshire until 1974. It retains a council, as a successor. The parish includes Market Warsop, Church Warsop, Warsop Vale and Spion Kop.

Mansfield District is twinned with the German town of Heliigenhaus, North Rhine-Westphlia

The Parish Church of SS. Peter and Paul was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 and was the property of three Saxon Lords,  Godric, Leviet, and Ulchel.

The definition of the name Warsop has two possible meanings. One is that of 'Wearscope' - weare, a weir or dam and scope meaning a storehouse. The other is wear that means cautious or outlaw and scope meaning valley, hence cautious valley.

Using the Domesday book one can estimate the population of Warsop to be at least one lord of the manor, one priest, one miller, 11 bordars (slaves), 6 sochmen (freemen) and 15 villiens (villagers who gave their services to the lord of the manor).

After the conquest, Warsop became one of the 174 manors held by the Norman Baron Roger de Busli, although part of it belonged to the Kings soke of Mansfield.

This project includes:

  • Pictures from past and present
  • Information about how the Warsop area has changed
  • Local landmarks
  • Whether warsop has changed for the better or worse

logo

The project contains these units:

Page 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
The Meden School was built in 1965 and was originally designed for 630 pupils but now there are approxiamately 1300 pupils on roll including post 1...
The Gate Inn probably got its name owing to the many toll gates that once ran along the High Street and its proximity to the Toll Bar in times gone...
The Dog and Rabbit once stood on Sherwood Street in Warsop and was once a very lively public house. Since it's closure it was taken over by an in...
The Plough Inn was once kept as a beerhouse owned by William Brummitt (circa 1844) and was called the Gunsmiths Arms as Church Street, where The Pl...
The Kwik Save was once the site of the Mission Room (circa 1875) and the car-park was once the site for the old police station. The mission room wa...
Page 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  


TrainLMS